Driver Education - First of two required courses
Driver education is the first of two required courses. This course is required by the State of California and the first step in the licensing process. Once completed:
1. Make appointment with DMV for your permit test.
2. Take with you: DL44 (applicaton), Social Security Number, Birth Certificate, and $31
3. Take the 46 question permit test at DMV
4. Schedule your first lesson behind the wheel to validate your permit.
Driver Training - Second of two required courses
1. Schedule your first lesson to validate your permit. Each lesson is two hours long.
2. Wait a 1-3 weeks and take your second lesson. This lesson is two hours long.
3. About 2 weeks before you plan to take your road test, schedule your last lesson.
Once you have completed both driver education and driver training, you are 16, your permit is 6 months old, you are ready for the final step.
1. Schedule your road test with DMV
2. Bring with you: A car in good working order, your permit, your behind the wheel certificate.